Thursday, January 12, 2012

Patterns of Winters

I've made no secret of the fact that winter is not one of my favourite times of year, particularly when its a day like today - freezing rain, snow, cold wind, -9c feeling like -13c.  Or days when it is bright and sunny but -27c with the wind chill.  The other day when I trudged through the Rideau Centre in a t-shirt, shirt, sweater, fleece, scarf, winter coat, toque and big clunkly lined boots I asked myself why I wasn't sitting in Miami in a shorts and t-shirt with many of my friends?  However that is a question to be answer another day.

But then every so often there is those moments when the sight of pristine snow falling in soft flakes on virgin white drifts - before the dog walkers set out and the sand trucks appear - takes on a mystical fairy tale aspect.  Or times like this morning when I went into the living room and saw a literal forest of frost on the window - looking for all the world like a Lalique sculpture.  I know it means that the seals have broke on the window and more cold is coming in than should be but it really was beautiful.  I only wish I had a better camera that wouldn't catch the reflection but even that added a touch of the mystical to the designs etched in ice by the cold.

Remember that a left click will enlarge the photos for a closer look.











Enhanced by Zemanta
At this point I'll simply bask in the beautiful of nature and not even bother looking out the window.  That would only bring back those old feelings about winter!

12 January - 1908 A long distance radio message was transmitted from the Eiffel Tower for the first time.

3 comments:

Jacques said...

Having grown up outside Chicago, and been in (Northern) Italy for years, I don't understand how you can manage to adapt in such a civil manner from your Roman Winters back to Canadian Winter. I still fatico ri-adattarmi whenever I go back Fall/Winter/Spring, even though I still can supportare the cold here without difficulty (though that doesn't mean I like it).

Shari said...

I'm still trying to make the adjustment back to Canadian winters after 14 years in Egypt. My family rolls their collective eyes when I call 4 C "frigid" and a few snowflakes a "blizzard". But it's good to be back!
Stunning photos! And your new background is beautiful!

Maria said...

I just want to remind you of Rome and I'm sending you this

http://www.italiannotebook.com/local-interest/city-replanning/