Saturday, January 26, 2008

Food! Glorious Food?

Fortnum and Mason are known for their Food Hampers, incredible Wine Shop and though their Food Hall may not be as glorious as it once was its still pretty wonderful for a foodie. Cheeses, meats, pastries - savoury and sweet - are displayed with taste and a certain elegance. The world famous hampers would be a delight to receive - though Deb thought that one particularly generous fruit basket destined for a hospital would probably become a feast for the nurses and aides as there was just too much for any poor sod in convalescent mode.

Amongst the various sauces, the Patum Peperium* (A Gentleman's Relish) and English condiments we found these items for the jaded palate.

24k Gold LollipopsToasted African AntsScorpions in CandyMopani Ants


As my dear old mom use to say when she overcooked the roast - which was every Sunday: Put a bit of horseradish on it and it'll go down a treat.

* I did a major misspelling of this but have corrected it. All I had to do was check the one in the cupboard.

26 gennaio - SS Tito e Timoteo

13 comments:

M. Knoester said...

I have some Patnum Pepperum in my fridge right now - but I'm no gentleman. ;-)

And horseradish does improve everything.

sageweb said...

Now I looked up the gentleman relish ...nothing seems to appetizing anymore. I politely pass.

Willym said...

SK: So have I and I'm not either. And I must admit I love horseradish.

SageWeb: Sorry didn't meant to put you off your feed. Actually the Patum is very nice in scrambled eggs or even in hamburger patties.

Anonymous said...

Here's where our refined palates part ways my dear. (shivers) With all that divine food at your fingertips, why would anyone choose to eat that?

Sling said...

It's all about presentation!
In certain curcumstances,I'll eat anything that won't eat me first.

Elizabeth said...

Hmmm... I'm so sorry I missed snapping (pun definitely intended) these up when I was at F & M's. Silly me, got sidetracked by the cheeses and breads!

evilganome said...

Yum, bugs! I have never tried the relish. Something to look into. As for horseradish, we used to grind our own when I was a child. Many a teary afternoon grinding it, but worth every second of torture. I have to get some horseradish for my garden. Fresh ground is the best.

Willym said...

Hat: Believe me there is no way I would even allow lips that have touched those things to touch mine.

Sling: Hmmm... that could be interpreted soooo many ways!

Elizabeth: They didn't appear to be exactly jumping off the shelves! Jumping off the shelves... get it... never mind!

EG: Fresh horseradish... makes the eyes sting and the tongue tingle. Sounds like I'm almost talking about RG there doesn't it?

more cowbell said...

I'm going to buy some horseradish...

M. Knoester said...

I notice you noticed the misspelling of Patum Peperium, but how do I prove I noticed it first?

How many s's in missssspelling?

Willym said...

SubleKnife: You just told me - that's proof enough for me. Why two of course... and as an old - and I do mean old - copy editor I should notice that. Just getting sloppy in my old age.

M. Knoester said...

I used to do some copy editing in Dutch and I suspect it has had an effect on how I read English as well (although I'm nowhere near as fluent).

hampers said...

I really like the look of those 24k gold lollipops! What a great idea. Where are these available I wonder?